Cane Sizing & Care
WE OFFER FREE CANE SIZING WITH ANY ORDER
(Canes cut from their original size will incur a 30% restocking fee if returned)
How to determine cane size when placing an order.
Choose 1 of 3 easy ways to determine cane length before placing order.
1. Measure the size of an existing cane.
Do this method by simply measuring from the lowest part on the top of the handle to the bottom of the rubber tip. Round up to the nearest half inch. (see Diagram A)
2. Measure the cane user
- Put on the user's walking shoes.
- Have the user stand naturally upright as much as possible.
- Have their arms fall to the sides naturally with a normal relaxed bend at the elbow. (Please see Diagram A for correct posture)
- Using a tape measure or yard stick, measure the distance from their wrist joint (bottom crease at the wrist) down to the floor. Round up to the nearest half inch.
(**For accurate length a second person must read measurement to prevent wrist from moving)
3. Measure half the height in inches.
(Only use if Step 1 or 2 are not available as options)
(Although this works for most cane users it is not always exact. Choose this option at your own risk a 30% restocking fee applies to all returned cut canes)
Most users cane measurements will be within one inch of half the users height.
- Convert height into inches...(example 66 Inches) then divide in half = 33 inches. (Round up to the nearest half inch.)
- Then add half an inch to this height.
- After receiving product use step #2 to confirm and change size if needed.
The Estimated height would be 33.5 inches for this example.
PLEASE NOTE: Sizing is a free courtesy. In most cases, sized canes will ship the same day. In very rare instances sizing requests may not be cut correctly or have not been sized at all. In these rare situations "pick up" call tags will not be issued and the item must be sent back to us at the customer's expense to be sized correctly. Please keep in mind that most canes can be cut easily at home, these easy instructions are below labeled "How To Cut Your Own Walking Cane", please contact customer service to be sure your cane is able to be custom sized or for more instruction. We will not ship out a new product. Please always check the item upon delivery to confirm the requested size. Canes can always be shortened but may not be lengthened.
HOW TO CUT YOUR OWN WALKING CANE
(use for wood, lucite, carbon fiber or aluminum canes)
- Measure your proper cane height by using step #2 (ABOVE IN CANE SIZING INFO).
- Measure your cane from the lowest part on the top of the handle to the bottom of the rubber tip. (see diagram A)
- Take this length and subtract the length determined by step #2. This is will be the size that will need to be cut off from your cane.
- To size the cane, remove the rubber cane tip by using a twisting motion.
- Cut the needed amount off your cane using a hack saw or fine tooth blade. Make sure to cut it at a flat angle.
- Replace the rubber tip and make sure it is on securely before use.
Example – A cane is received at 37". The size determined in Step #2 is 32". (37"-32"=5") The length that should be removed is 5".
PLEASE NOTE: Please do not cut umbrella, sword, seat, bull organ canes or any other canes that state they should not be sized
PLEASE REMEMBER CANES CAN BE SHORTENED BUT THEY CANNOT BE LENGTHENED.
Matching Cane Size to Users Body Size
Canes are not intended to be used like a crutch for full weight bearing.
An important consideration in choosing a cane is to match the cane with the user's body size, so that the cane becomes the key to better mobility and safety for the user. Canes are not designed to substitute for bearing all the weight you normally would on your legs, such as crutches but to provide you with an extra foot on the ground for balance. The cane adds a third point of ground contact that alters the bio mechanics of walking to affect balance, relieve painful joints and provide stability to the user.
Canes are intended to help with a users balance. A cane size is designed to be proportionate to a cane users body size. The cane's shaft size, handle size and constuction are factors in determining a cane users size.
You can rest assured that all of our canes are durable and of high quality. All of the canes that we sell pass our high quality standards. In fact many canes out there do not meet our standards and we do not sell them.
Falling is a serious issue for our older population. 1 out of 3 seniors fall every year. 90% of broken hips are the direct result of falls. By the time a senior reaches age 75, falls are the major cause of fatal injuries.
Cleaning a Cane
The best method of cleaning your cane is simple soap and water. Other products may leave a slippery film or possibly damage your cane. In particular, lucite canes should NOT be cleaned with Windex or other window cleaners. These cleaners can actually cause the clear acrylic to look dull and hazy..
We carry only the best products that meet our high standards in materials and appearance.
Because our products are made from natural materials there may be variation in color. The cane you purchase may vary slightly in appearance from the cane viewed on our website. This means that each and every cane is unique!
Because our products are made from natural materials there will be variations in wood grain, color and appearance. Our canes are unique and environmentally friendly!
Not all canes and walking sticks are made to support weight. Use discretion and common sense in the use of canes which are very thin, or have a dual use or feature. For example, for a sore ankle, use a support cane, not a sword cane.