How to Measure for a Cane
Learn How to Properly Size and Cut a Walking Cane
Before you start using a cane or walking stick it is very important to ensure it is the right size. Undersized or over-sized canes may not offer the same stability and performance as a properly sized cane. Read on to learn how to size and cut canes for yourself or someone else.
WE OFFER FREE CANE SIZING WITH ANY ORDER
(Canes cut from their original size will incur a 30% restocking fee if returned)
How to Determine Cane Size When Buying a Cane
There are several ways to determine what your cane length should be--even if the user is not available to measure. Choose 1 of these 3 easy methods of cane sizing before placing your order.
1. Measure the Size of an Existing Cane
Simply take an existing cane, and measure from the lowest part of the top of the handle to the bottom of the tip. Round up to the nearest half inch. (see Diagram A)
2. Measure the Cane User
- Have the user put on their walking shoes.
- User should stand naturally upright as much as possible.
- Let their arms fall to the sides naturally with a normal relaxed bend at the elbow. (see Diagram A for correct posture)
- Using a tape measure or yard stick, measure the distance from their wrist joint (bottom crease at the wrist) down to the floor. Round up to the nearest half inch.
(**For accurate length a second person must read measurement to prevent wrist from moving)
3. Measure Half the Height of the User
If the user is not available or does not have an existing cane, use this method.
Although this works for most cane users it is not always exact. Choose this option at your own risk, and remember a 30% restocking fee applies to all returned cut canes
Most users cane measurements will be within one inch of half the users height.
- Convert height into inches: Example user height is 5'6" which is 66 inches. 66 divided in half = 33 inches (always round up to the nearest half inch).
- Add half an inch to this measurement to get 33.5 inches.
- After receiving product use step #2 to confirm and change size if needed.
The estimated cane length would be 33.5 inches for the above example.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS INFORMATION IN NO WAY REPLACES A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL'S RECOMMENDATION. CANES ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE USED LIKE A CRUTCH FOR FULL WEIGHT SUPPORT, CANES ARE INTENDED ONLY FOR BALANCE.
Sizing is a free courtesy. In most cases, sized canes will ship the same day. Although we strive to cut the cane to the exact requested measurement, cane handle shapes and cane shaft variations will make the cut length vary up to 1/4” in length from requested size. Please keep in mind that most canes can be cut easily at home. Please contact customer service to be sure your cane is able to be custom sized or for more instructions. Please always check the item upon delivery to confirm the requested size. Canes can always be shortened but may not be lengthened. Please note* There are some walking canes that come to us with custom tips that are built into the cane. If these cane's are sized (cut), we cannot replace the original cane tip and will use our standard black rubber cane tip.